Sunday, July 4, 2010

It's all about Timing.

Really that's the bottom line. Pitching is about messing up a hitters timing and hitting is about being on time.
I've seen hitters with bad or less than perfect swings get hit after hit. I've seen the best batting practice hitters never live up to their big swing potential.
It's really not about a perfect swing. If the bat head and the ball do not show up in the same area at the same time then there is no collision an thus no possibility for a hit.
I advocate for a leveler swing. A swing that when done correctly produces a hip and shoulders rotation that when the hands are released then the hands take a straight line to the ball. This keeps the bat head and hands together for the longest possible time the bat head will be moving through the hitting zone.
When this happens and I have viewed it and measured it through video the best cases are about 32 inches. Consistently it is about 25 inches.
When a hitter has an up swing or a little dip that area becomes about 8 inches.
Now imagine the ball is coming at 90 mph and you have about about .15 seconds to make an guess to swing or not to swing.
I know it takes .38 seconds for the ball to get to the plate, but it takes a millisecond for the eyes to focus and another for the brain to say "FIRE!" So really you have about .15 seconds to guess and guess right.
I would go out on a limb and say it is nearly impossible to CONSISTENTLY hit the ball hard without guessing. No I take that back. I would bet my life on it. If you want more information about how this works then come by and take a lesson.
Guaranteed results or you don't pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment